Drink After Exercise?

As a young soldier, I liked to lift weights and run after work. Then I would maintain the high by hitting the bar. I mean, it was a good buzz and we were already pumped. And we got away with it in our youth. Running with a hangover was no big deal when you are fit and robust.

Fast forward a few years and the recovery time was not quite as good. There was always this lag in energy. No, it was not just alcohol poisoning. But rather the hypoglycemic reaction.

The hypoglycemia can get right dangerous sometimes. I used to teach three fitness classes in a row and then walk to a bus stop in minus 30 weather. Some nights, I got the shakes. Not a good thing. Later, I learned from a cyclist friend to eat something within minutes of training. This was something as simple as a kiwi. What a difference it made. One kiwi every hour kept me going and kept my disposition calm in the face of frustration with a class. Later, I started eating rice and peas before a class. This might sound like asking for a nausea session. Au contraire, my friend, I could keep going if I ate a little bit at a time. It beat that angry, shaky feeling of fatigue and hunger.

Now, the after workout drink. I found that getting a good dose of water helped immensely. Then some food. Then and only then the alcohol. You see, some exercise fanatics, especially diabetics, are dangerously running low on blood sugar. They get a little lift from the booze and feel pretty light headed. This is partially from the booze and partially from the drop in... you guessed it, blood sugar. Now their bodies are struggling to stabilize their blood sugar AND repair their muscles. Something has to give. Too often, the body has to forgo muscle rebuilding for survival. The muscles do not grow like they should and the fat does not burn like it should. You get a fun feeling. But, not much progress.

A better plan is to EAT! before working out. Something light. Rice, fruit, steamed vegetables, muffin. Workout. Then, as mentioned, water, snack, then the booze. Then keep snacking. Some guys used to complain that it cost more to get drunk this way. Well, you have your priorities: health. Besides, while they get too drunk, you can still function and enjoy the following day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...